About Me

My photo
Lake Mathews (Perris), CA, United States
Born in Illinois, I grew up in Wilmette, a northern suburb of Chicago. I have one sibling, an older brother. I am married, for the 2nd time now, to Butch & got 4 children in the deal. They have gone on to make me grandmother 25 times over & great-grandmother to over 20!. After many years working in industry, I got my bachelors and masters degrees in speech communication, & was a professor in that field for 13 years. I retired in 2001 & returned to school & got my doctorate in folklore. Now I meld my two interests - folklore & genealogy - & add my teaching background, resulting in my current profession: speaker/author/entertainer of genealogically-related topics. I play many folk instruments, but my preference is guitar, which I have been playing since 1963. I write the "Aunty Jeff" column for the Informer, newsletter of the Jefferson County NY Gen. Soc. I work in partnership with Gena Philibert-Ortega & Sara Cochran as Genealogy Journeys® where we focus on educating folks about Social History. More about that: genaandjean.blogspot.com. More on our podcasts: genjourneys.podbean.com. More about my own projects: Circlemending.org.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday - 12 January 2010

In an earlier post, I recognized the stone of my great-granduncle, Clarence P. Wilcox, and how it had fallen on the ground, Wilcox side down, and was put up straight under some unusual circumstances (click on his name above to read about & see photos of that extraordinary experience).

Last month, on Find-a-Grave, I found the photo, above, of the stone, now in place on its stand (though the Wilcox side has SMITH on the base, meaning that the Smiths, who are buried in the shared plot, have WILCOX on the base of their stone). I don't know who did it; as far as I know, there are no family members of Clarence's who would care (though Maggie, his first wife, had a daughter by her first husband and maybe there is family in that connection that were instrumental in this operation). Or, perhaps, the monument-maker returned to clean the stone and put it in place. Or maybe the cemetery took care of it. Whatever and whoever was involved, the photo is attributed to our favorite photographer: anonymous. But I want to thank those who put Clarence and Maggie back up, even if they are on the opposite side of where they belong and, presumably, their bodies lay.

Maggie, whose first husband was a Jones, died on 12 January 1912, 98 years ago today. I know very little about her, except that she and Clarence were married on 11 February 1894 in Nashville, Tennessee, and she brought a daughter, Mary P. Jones, into their home with that marriage. Her sister was Martha, who married Jacob Edelen, and Clarence and Maggie were living with them in 1900. After Maggie's death, Clarence married Jennie Smith on 21 September 1919 in Nashville. She had been previously married to James Greenhall and their daughter was Reba Greenhall.

Maggie M. Wilcox, b: 19 October 18 1866; d: 12 January 1912; buried: Spring Hill Cemetery, Nashville, Davidson, Tennessee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments related to this post or topic; others will be deleted. Contact blog author directly for other issues.